Monday, August 24, 2015

Project: Photo // Showing Depth

This week's task is about showing depth.

I think I've taken thousands of pictures of a beautiful view, only to go back and discover they all suck. Sometimes I shrug and post it anyway with a #picturesdontdoitjustice hashtag... but it seems I've always looked at it from a tourist viewpoint and simply never seen it with a photographer's mindset!

The most important aspect of a landscape photograph is showing depth, to avoid having the whole thing looking flat. The foreground is key, so interesting details or subjects nearer to the camera is equally as important as keeping the most impressive subject in the background. This allows the viewer to become immersed from the photographer's point of view and the photograph will look more powerful. (Click here for a good example.)


In this picture, I was originally trying to capture the stillness and tranquility of the lake in the early morning, as it was yet undisturbed by birds and ducks still unconscious in their cozy little nests. I took some shots attempting to show the dock in the foreground opposite the further bank and sprinkled clouds in the background... but the photo ended up lacking an "interesting subject." A few steps back toward the car, I noticed that the reason I stopped at this spot was because of the charming little gate and tree branches that framed this little walkway. Sure enough, I love the picture even more with those details included!


I wish I would have played more with exposure so that the rock was more in focus, but it's still interesting to see proof that a subject in the foreground is the easiest way to show depth.

Visiting Denver always makes us want to move out here, especially since both Jason's sister and my sister are both out here with their husbands... it feels like "coming home" every time we hang out with them. And Denver's gorgeous weather, amazing mountains, and the promise of skiing in fresh powder don't hurt!

This picture features some leading lines and layering of hills as a way to show depth. Mr. Fletcher Whitlock as a model for this picture is also just too perfect.

Following an interesting fence as it becomes smaller, the further it gets, gives the illusion of depth.

A small little winding path leads our eyes off to the distance, after we are entranced by Connie and Fletcher hanging out on the bridge!


Thoughts:
  1. There are so many different ways to show depth and so many different ways to take pictures of the landscape. I think I need another week dedicated to landscape practice in the future.
  2. I know I should be able to practice anywhere, but it is so much easier to be inspired in Colorado when the mountains lend a helping hand in every picture... some places simply just photograph better! All of my original pictures taken in Colorado looked like they already had a beautiful filter on it. (Connie says it was the haze that was present during the day, how ideal can you get?!)

No comments :

Post a Comment